A daily boost of motivation, specifically related to GuitarIn5minutes.com - the easiest way to learn guitar from scratch. Often discusses the concept of Beginner's Mind, the Zen precept of openness.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Baby Steps

This blog is meant to be a daily blog.   Yet it's been a week since I've written in it.  

Maybe you have started to learn to play guitar and the lessons are just sitting in your email box, unused.  

In order to progress,  the critic voice who says, "See, I told you so?  I KNEW you couldn't do it blah blah blah" has to be sent on a PERMANENT vacation.   This doesn't happen overnight.  It takes time.  But wouldn't they prefer to be in Maui or Florida or someplace warm (wouldn't we all)?   Convince them to move to a warmer clime.  Buy them a one way plane ticket.  Say "Have a nice trip", "Sayonara", "see you around" etc.   

Pick yourself up.  Remind yourself that you get credit for just trying.   A baby doesn't learn to walk by tap dancing.   They fall down.   And get up again.   And try again.   The smallest step in the direction of your dreams and accomplishing your goals is a major success and should be treated as such!   

Just as I was writing this post, my dear friend Carrie Anne mentioned something about a new song she wrote called "Baby Steps".   At the risk of embarrassing her, I want to reprint her lyrics because they are so apropos and I really like the song - reminds me of Victoria Williams....link to the music is below, thanks Carrie!  

Look out of your window, can't be a world outside, that is too inviting
I'll stay and watch the leaves blow
Think how they coincide,with many a life..but
Can't see their faces from here..so you put them away with your fears
can't hear their voices from here,voices from here,voices that nobody hears
you can't wash them all away-those bubbles float round the drain
And I can't make it go away,not my choice anyway,not my choice these days
not my choice.
Take baby steps with me
One Step, Two Step..three One step, two step three
And you can't wash them all away
those bubbles float round the drain..not my choice these days

Look into my window,they won't get nothing from me
Till they let me be...me.
Wonder which way the the winds blows
Can't see their eyes from here,there ...eyes.their eyes are red with tears.
Can't see their Blood from here..their Blood from here.

And you can't wash this stain away-as our brothers go down the drain
and you can't wish this pain away- as our sisters go up in flames.

One step ..two step ..three
take baby steps with me..one step,two step ..three..
take baby steps...with...me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers