A daily boost of motivation, specifically related to GuitarIn5minutes.com - the easiest way to learn guitar from scratch. Often discusses the concept of Beginner's Mind, the Zen precept of openness.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Blind Spots

We all have our blind spots in life.  Some people can't stand discussing politics with people that don't share their point of view.   Some people don't like sitting in traffic.   Some people don't like jazz.   Others like all kinds of music except American country music.  

My own personal blind spot right now is Lady Gaga - being a huge David Bowie/Freddie Mercury fan, I just don't see the comparisons.  But I do applaud her for working the media machine to the max - she is a PR master!   Good for her.

There is no rule that you have to like everything or everyone.  But I think beginner's mind is useful for these situations.  Knowing that we like or dislike something is enough.  There is no need to take things further and mire our minds in useless negativity.  If I don't like Lady Gaga, that doesn't hurt her at all.  But my own negative thoughts and emotions can sabotage my progress.   If you are like me at all, you can sit there and be angry for hours about absolutely nothing.

There will be people who go out of their way to push your buttons.   In such situations, it's good to take a step back, take a deep breath, and just take it easy for a moment.   Make a list of things you are grateful for, and focus on the tasks at hand.   And, if you learn how to play the guitar, you can write a song about the person or situation that teed you off.  You may never want to play those songs, but you might come up with a winner!   I did that when a drunk jerk fell into my Taylor Guitar at a gig in upstate New York in 1999.  Very therapeutic :-)  

If you are celebrating the holiday season right now, be patient and kind with those around you and try not to get "into it" with anyone.  Everyone seems stressed right now.  Practice beginner's mind, and the people around you will not seem so imposing.  They are just people, after all.   

2 comments:

  1. Day before yesterday I had to do some holiday shopping - for my mother - and before I even left the house I said a prayer, right out loud, that I would head into the realm of retail madness in a place of harmony ... of peace and asked that those qualities, energies, whatever, be shared with those I interacted with in my venture. It took *less* than 5 minutes and put me in a good place. I was able to share a smile in some long Monday lines ... and see more than a few reflected back to me. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studies show that prayers (of any kind) have automatic biochemical health benefits - and clearly help keep an even keel! Great stuff Rose!

    ReplyDelete

Followers